7.02.2012

Making art pop

paint frame and matting to update a picture at Junkinjunky.blogspot.com
Many years ago, my mother-in-law gave me a Toller Cranston print.  It’s a signed, limited edition and has lived on a few walls, but mostly has been in storage.  Let me show you why.
Professor Poopy Pants brown matting, with a gold metal frame, totally 80’s.
paint frame and matting to update a picture at Junkinjunky.blogspot.com
I sprayed the frame with a matte black and brushed some black satin paint on the mat, 3 coats. Can you tell that’s my work table? What a mess.
paint frame and matting to update a picture at Junkinjunky.blogspot.com
This picture also has some relevant history behind it;   this was presented to a radio show host, back in 1980. CBC Radio is our public radio station, heard coast to coast across Canada. There is an area of Toronto named Cabbagetown, named so after the first settlers that lived in the area, the Irish. They planted cabbage in their yards, hence it’s name. I lived in Cabbagetown until I was 7 years old. The area at the time was pretty run down, but is now more gentrified.
DSC08794
My mother-in-law comes up with the strangest things, and she has no idea how she became the owner of this print. I’m glad she did though, and gave it to me. Now it has a whole new life and didn’t cost me a dime to make it modern.
paint frame and matting to update a picture at Junkinjunky.blogspot.com
If you are not familiar with Toller Cranston, you can read about this amazing artist here (click on the photo)

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a difference the black paint made! ♥ the print Ü So very pretty on that wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo cool Mel!!! I love it when art means something to you. The black mat totally brought it up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very different. very awesome! congrats!
    ~Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a transformation. I have a signed Tollar Cranston Book and met him many years ago through Figure Skating. I am also an Ontario Blogger and have bookmarked you and will be checking your Blog regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks much better now!

    Silly me, I thought Toller Cranston was a figure skater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous makeover, and what a cool piece of art! Naturally it fits right in to your decor, too - how do you DO that??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great update! Looks like a brand new piece.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.